- Service & Repair
- Safety & Security
- Our Reputation
- Online Store
June is Garage Door Safety Month. Since Overhead Door is the inventor of the upward-lifting garage door, we wanted to share some tips on maintaining the security and safety of your garage door.
Did you know that more than 70 percent of homeowners enter and exit through the garage? The garage is the most-often used entry point of the home, opening and closing an average of four times a day. That’s a lot foot traffic. It’s important to keep track of your garage door activity and ensure your garage door is well-maintained and functions safely.
Maintaining Garage Door Security
Managing the activity of your garage door is easy with OHD Anywhere™. With this application, you can control and monitor your garage door from anywhere. You can check if your garage door is open, closed or if there is any change to the door position. Know instantly when someone is operating your garage door, or open the door for anyone. Consider how great it would be for delivery, repair person or friends. All without having to provide the access password to your garage.
OHD Anywhere™ uses a sensor attached to the garage door. This is an important security advantage. Other systems monitor the opener, instead of the garage door position. The system alerts you whether the door changes to the fully open or closed position. Even if the door is operated manually by disengaging the door from the opener, you are notified.
OHD Anywhere™ delivers convenience, control, peace-of-mind and safety all in the palm of your hand. Another great tip: while on vacation, unplug the garage door opener unit. Or, use the vacation lock security switch on the wall console. This feature renders remotes unusable and is an optional accessory to most openers.
Garage Door Safety Tips:
- Keeping your garage door in working order is also important to safety. First, test the reversing mechanism by placing a 2-inch by 4-inch board in the door’s path. If the door does not reverse after contacting the object, call us or schedule a repair online.
- If the opener has not been replaced since 1993, replace the garage door opener with a new one that has safety beams and auto-reverse as a standard feature.
- All garage door owners should make sure that their little ones are kept safe when playing in or around garages. Make sure the garage door opener control button is out of the reach of children. Also, do not let them play with garage door remote controls.
- Visually inspect the garage door for wear and tear. Pay particular attention to springs, cables, rollers and pulleys. Do not attempt to remove, adjust or repair these parts or anything attached to them. These parts are under high tension and should be fixed only by a trained garage door professional.
If you find there is an issue with your garage door or opener, make sure you contact us for service. Our garage door repair professionals are fully trained on how to properly (and safely) fix your garage doors.
The International Door Association (IDA) and the Door & Access Systems Manufacturers Association (DASMA) have designated June as Garage Door Safety Month. We are proud to be a member of these associations and support their door safety focused missions. We work hard to promote safety every day, as well as during Garage Door Safety Month.
Important Garage Door Safety Facts
- Every year, approximately 30,000 people are injured in an accident involving garage doors. Some of those injuries result in death, which could be prevented.
- On average, a person opens and closes their garage door about six times a day. That’s a lot of coming and going, which can cause wear and tear on your garage door if it is not properly maintained.
- Since the early 1980s, manufacturers have been working with the federal government and Underwriters Laboratories to improve garage door operating systems. UL325 is the basis of all safety standards for residential garage door openers and continues to be updated.
- In 1993, the Consumer Product Safety Commission required all automatic garage door systems to have a safety reversing or automatic off system. As a result, the total number of child entrapment situations have reduced to nearly zero when garage doors with external photo-eye entrapment protection have been installed properly.
- Do not overlook the importance of regular maintenance as it can have safety implications over time.
To keep your garage door in top shape, as well as keep your family and pets safe, schedule an annual Garage Door Safety Inspection. Our expertly trained technicians will address safety and maintenance items in both your garage door and garage door opener system. For more tips and offers during Garage Door Safety Month, follow us on Facebook.
Garage doors are often the largest moving object in a home. It’s critical to properly maintain them so you and your loved ones remain safe. If you aren’t sure what a garage door safety inspection includes, continue reading.
Prior to the safety inspection, our service technician will discuss any noticeable repair or replacement issues of concern with you.
Garage door safety inspections address the following safety and maintenance items:
- Every garage door in your home is reviewed under a 14-point inspection
- Each garage door opener system in your home undergoes a 12-point inspection
- Tighten or replace defective garage door bolts and nuts
- Lubricate the garage door’s rollers and pulleys
- Lubricate the whole drive mechanism on your garage door
- Adjust the electric garage door opener and tighten the chain
- Set the garage door opener limit switches
- Lubricate the whole drive mechanism on your opener system
- Check the keypad and transmitter batteries and replace up to two as needed
After the garage door safety inspection:
In addition to verbally reviewing the inspection details with you, a service technician will supply you with a completed inspection checklist that notes any safety issues or recommended repairs in writing. You will receive a copy for your records with the service call receipt.
Keep your family safe and extend the life of your garage at the same time with a garage door safety inspection. Schedule a convenient appointment time online!